Agraffe reaming

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sun, 06 Apr 2003 13:44:03 -0500

>>That's the point. If you're re-using the original agraffes, and they were
>>lined up when you took them out to ream them, how is it possible to not
>>have them go back in the same threaded hole without lining up just like
>>they were before they were taken out? There wouldn't be any need to shim
>>or trim.
>>
>>Ron N
>
>Perhaps if you've reamed out the hole enough on some and not on others, so
>the strings
>wouldn't line up anymore? Then you'd need to shim the less-reamed ones, so
>that even if the tops of the agraffes weren't totally level, the strings
>would be?
>
>Susan

Then I'd say it's time to find a less destructive reaming method. You'll
easily change string height more than reaming will, just by leveling
strings after it's strung. I don't think it's a real concern. But it does
bring up a valid point. Who actually tries to measure and adjust to a few
thousandths (with shims), the final height of the agraffe holes? Not the
tops - the holes. This is one of those things that's given a fair amount of
lip service about how critical it is to so many decimal places, but does
anyone out there actually worry about anything other than gross mismatches?
If so, how do you measure agraffe hole height? Eyeballing new agraffes to
reject the obviously mis-drilled ones, we see that the state of the art
isn't all that dependable and precise. We see mis-drilled agraffes in new
pianos when we are trying to get dampers to work, and clear up the truly
bad phasing noises by leveling strings. So what good is leveling the tops
of agraffes when the holes could be anywhere?

Ron N