Upweight Maximums

Mon, 07 Apr 2003 09:46:28 +0200

Nichols wrote:

> >So.... I'd love to hear some thoughts on the matter.
>
> Well, here's one.... Are pianists trying to control the action? Or the
> tone? Control is the key, I believe, and good players don't have to think
> about the action. They would rather it be transparent to the tone, and
> beyond that, really directly to the "music", so-to-speak.

Interesting. Control is one of the words this person uses in her
arguementation. And at other times I've heard her speak in terms of the
desirablility of this transparency you refer too.

> My favorite times
> in the audience come from when the piano satisfies the player (and me) well
> enough so that I can listen to the music, instead of the piano.
> So, with that in mind, you'll need either low strike weights or low
> friction for the heavier-than-thou up weights with subsequent lower
> inertia.... but....
>
> what's that gonna do to the tone?

Thats one point I think often gets left out of all touch discussions, how does
tone figure in to touchweight perceptions / concerns, and how does the these in
turn relate to tone ?

> >Cheers
> >
> >RicB
>
> Just a thought, and YOU asked for it,<G>
> Guy (or "guys"), whatever

Thanks Guy

RicB

--