Help on aural stretch

Tony Caught caute@bigpond.com.au
Sat, 12 Apr 2003 23:07:15 +0930

Dave,

Try tuning normally (as you do now) check each note tuned with the fifth =
below. If your normal tuning is below pure fifth, make it pure. If its =
pure, sharpen it by 1/2 cps and test it out.=20

Tony
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Donald Mannino=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Saturday, April 12, 2003 4:08 AM
  Subject: Re: Help on aural stretch

  Dave,

  It depends an awful lot on the individual piano - that's why it is a =
little hard to answer your question.  If the tone is clear and you can =
hear double octave beats clearly, you can simply try to tune on the =
sharp side of pure 4:1 double octaves.  In other pianos you can work =
with the octave + 5th (17th) and tune them for consistency.  Just how =
the 17ths are tuned really depends on the scale, though.

  In noisier pianos where all the beats may not be as clear, you can =
usually still use the speed of the 2:1 beat as your guide to consistency =
- pull the string quite sharp, and slow it down to where you can hear =
the beat clearly and consistently, and gradually speed the beats up as =
you work into the top octave to the point where they are almost too fast =
to hear.

  Or, set Cybertuner to OTS 9 and tune away . . .=20

  Don Mannino RPT