Killer Octave Question

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Sun, 13 Apr 2003 09:38:45 -0400

At 11:02 PM -0500 4/12/03, Ron Nossaman wrote:
>An old Knabe bridge, lying on a table and propped up in the middle
>with a pencil, shows a lovely crown from end to end. Pull the pencil
>out, and it's dead flat. That bridge will lay on a crowned
>soundboard and very nicely conform to the crown of the board.

Was that a solid bridge root with a ship-lap joint, or vertically
laminated? I've also been curious through this thread, about the new
Steinways you've examined and found no crown in the mid-treble. These
were pianos you were called in on presumably because of just the
tonal problem mentioned in Terry's initial thread. Pianos new enough
to convince you that they let the factory with deformed boards.

How many were these? And how many new Steinway pianos have you been
called in to examine because of perfectly fine tone, in which you
found the required crown. Or if this is too small a sample (being
maybe less than one), compared to Steinway's annual output.  This
ratio would answer whether the the disappearance of crown is
system-wide and due to a procedural decision from the engineering
department, or simply as John suggests, from garden variety
"out-of-tolerance" work on the floor.

I'm also glad to see John back on the list.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

".......true more in general than specifically"
     ...........Lenny Bruce, spoofing a radio discussion of the Hebrew
roots of Calypso music