Pianos Lure Students

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 15:37:00 -0700

                                 Pianos Lure Students to Pa. Conservatory
                                 The Associated Press
                                 Apr 16 2003 3:00PM

                                 PHILADELPHIA (AP) - Of the 800 or so
students who annually
                                 audition for the Curtis Institute of Music,
about 40 are accepted.
                                 And for some of those lucky - and talented
- chosen ones, it gets
                                 even grander: their own Steinway piano for
the duration of their
                                 enrollment.

                                 The loan program has been a tradition since
the founding of the
                                 79-year-old Curtis, regarded as one of the
world's most
                                 prestigious music conservatories. Thirty
students now have
                                 at-home Steinways.

                                 ``This is something that's really unique to
Curtis on this kind of a
                                 scope,'' said Sally Coveleskie, director of
institutional sales for
                                 Steinway & Sons in New York.

                                 Steven Hackman, now a 22-year-old
second-year conducting
                                 student, had auditioned and was waiting for
his flight home to
                                 Illinois when he read about the loan
program while browsing the
                                 school's Web site in the airport.

                                 ``My parents were here, too ... our jaws
just dropped,'' he said.
                                 ``I'd never heard of anything like that.''

                                 It can make apartment hunting tougher, and
the students have to
                                 pay for the piano move, which costs at
least $150. But they're not
                                 complaining.

                                 ``We're really blessed to have this program
- it's one of the
                                 reasons I came here,'' said Sheridan
Seyfried, 18. ``Otherwise,
                                 you're relying on practice rooms and trying
to schedule time to use
                                 them. To have one at home is just the
ultimate.''

                                 This year, 38 students were accepted at
Curtis, founded in 1924
                                 by publishing heiress Mary Louise Curtis
Bok. The school accepts
                                 only enough students to fill all the seats
in an orchestra plus a small
                                 number of keyboard, composition and
conducting students.
                                 Currently there are 158 students; all are
on full scholarships.

                                 The length of study is open-ended, ranging
from two years to 10
                                 years or longer. Students, mostly
college-age but a few of whom
                                 are in their early teens, graduate when
their teachers decide they
                                 are ready.

                                 Conductor Leonard Bernstein, opera singer
Anna Moffo, violinist
                                 Nadja Salerno-Sonnenberg, pianist Peter
Serkin and composer
                                 Samuel Barber are among Curtis' alumni - as
is the school
                                 president, noted pianist Gary Graffman.

                                 The Curtis Institute purchased its first 45
Steinways shortly after
                                 the school opened and it now has 91,
acquired through donations
                                 and purchases. Besides the school's 16
piano students, 14 others
                                 studying harpsichord, organ, composition
and conducting have
                                 Steinways. Students try them out and pick
the one they like best.

                                 The remaining grands, worth $12,000 and up,
grace the school's
                                 performance venues and practice rooms.

                                 ``Steinways are workhorses; they hold up
extremely well. And the
                                 depth of the sound really gives students
idealized training that
                                 allows them a fuller palette to work
with,'' said Hugh Sung, a
                                 Curtis alumnus and faculty member.

                                 Third-year piano student Di Wu, 18, said
she otherwise would
                                 have rented an upright piano for her
studies. Instead, she practices
                                 in her apartment on her 1931 Model B
Steinway - but she worries
                                 it might be spoiling her.

                                 ``It's an honor,'' she said. ``I just don't
know how I'll ever be able
                                 to play on anything else after I leave.''

                                 On the Net:

                                 The Curtis Institute of Music Web site:
http://www.curtis.edu

                                 Steinway & Sons Web site: