Dealership work

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 18:13:42 -0700

I work full time at the one really big dealership here in Phoenix, AZ.  =
We actually do full, complete preps on all our new pianos, plus we can =
take care of the most finicky Uber-rich people that live here. When I =
first came here, thanks to a heads-up from Jim Coleman, Sr., I felt like =
a kid in a candy shop.  "You mean I can do anything that I want to make =
this piano better?  I can take whatever time it takes?  You pay me a =
salary, and not by the piano?"  The only people who may have it better =
would be University Techs, because they're harder to fire, but the work =
is similar.=20
    This has been the best thing to happen to me as far as improving my =
skills. My regulating work is about as good as it can get, I have =
learned sooooooo much about voicing that I didn't know before, etc.  =
Now, when I'm working at one of our locations, I welcome any questions =
from the contract techs with less experience.=20

    I realize that most dealerships don't do things this way, but most =
dealerships end up getting what they sow in the way of customer =
satisfaction.=20

Kevin E. Ramsey, RPT
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: PatchWick@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2003 4:06 PM
  Subject: Re: Dealership work

  In a message dated 4/16/2003 11:18:52 AM Eastern Daylight Time, =
tito@philbondi.com writes:

    Ok..I've read most of the posts regarding this current subject, and =
I want
    to chime in on it..

    Yesterday was my 7th year aniversary in the business, and that day, =
April
    15, is special not because it was the first day of business for =
me..it is
    special because it was the first day I started doing contract work =
for a
    dealership here that I STILL do contract work for today, and will =
continue
    to do work for until it isn't feasible for either one of us.

    When I was hired to do this work, this dealer said to me, and I =
quote:

    "In 3-4 years, you'll be busy enough where you won't have time to do =
my work
    anymore."

    Yes, I am busier than the 1-armed paperhanger in a hurricane, but I =
still
    make time to do this dealer's work, at reduced rates..why?

    1. We have an understanding about his floor work and his Warranty
    Tunings..the floor will have to wait if I have the opportunity to =
double my
    income instead.

    2. He really is a nice person.

    3. See #'s 1&2.

    This dealer got me going in a big way 7 years ago, and I am =
eternally
    grateful..he's happy to have me, and I'm happy to work with him.

    win-win.

    We should all be that lucky.

    -Phil Bondi (Fl.)

  I've had this arrangement with a dealer for 16 years and am still =
going strong. On those rare occaisions when my "outside" work slows down =
I enjoy the chance to get him caught up a bit.

  will wickham