Rebuilding for Performance or Show?

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 08:33:28 -0500

>I think also when you consider that the piano has not changed much over
>more than 100 years, logic would have it that there is going to be room
>for improvement.

As would experience for anyone willing to go beyond the equally long
established and largely ineffectual methods of attempting to deal with the
legacy shortcomings of these hundred year old designs - which are largely
presumed to have been perfect when new.

>I guess my point is that IMHO the only reason to rigidly stick to a
>"reproduce exactly like original" plan is if you are doing the work for a
>museum or some type of showpiece where originality is specifically the
>goal. If performance is the goal - and I would argue that it is most of
>the time (or should be) - then one would likely benefit to keeping an open
>mind to incorporating changes as one is able and confident of the outcome.
>
>OK, bombs away! Let me have it!
>
>Terry Farrell

I think you're absolutely right. Now define performance. For many, the name
on the fallboard is the primary performance criteria defined by their
friends, neighbors, business associates, interior decorator, and society
columnist - not to mention their tech or rebuilder.

Ron N