TR: Felt question was : rebuilding for what...?

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 20:52:02 -0400

Isaac OLEG wrote:

> Sorry to ask again but comes to my mind a question about felt used by
> Ronsen, if you don't mind.
>
> I truly appreciate that Wurzen Filz (I believe that Renner have some
> parts in the factory, it was in RDA, had new headquarters when
> privatized in 91 , web site http://www.filzfabrik-wurzen.de/eng.htm
> this was a well known place for felt for a long time)it looks like
> Cashmere wool and gives a warm tone with a lot of body.
>
> I understood that Ronsen buy felt in France at Laoureux
> http://www.laoureux.com/Page3.html , this felt is less resilient ,
> thinner (that may be interesting) , I've find it can't be needled too
> much (fiber is not holding as much as the Wurzen IMO).
>
> Most probably Ronsen have tried any available felt and Wurzen also .
> Abel say he stopped using Wurzen (for "some problems")but I understand
> fairly well this kind of felt is not at all corresponding with the way
> Abel presses their hammers (hard and compact, too much warmness and
> pressure I guess) I suppose that Wurzen does not like to be violented
> when pressing, and nowadays it will never be hard as the Abel
> production are.
>
> I just wandered if you heard about this felt when talking with Ronsen,
> and if you have tried some of these (This is the felt used on Renner
> Blue for instance)
>
> I'll admit that probably this material in its actual presentation is
> may be not allowing so much voicing possibilities as a thinner fiber
> felt, but the tension is showing nicely and coming back after playing
> if over needling have been done, as the fiber looks as some very
> springy elastic coils, allowing always for a good rebound without the
> need for hardeners or such.
>
> The technicians that like it ,as me , are probably looking for the
> simplest way of "doing as less as possible ;>)"  as a way of attaining
> the necessary Zen attitude that lend to nice results !!! As it need
> less preparation than some others and is a joy to needle I have find
> it as a material of choice when repairing actions. The felt does not
> seem to be carbonized, it is slightly yellow, and is not cracking
> under the needles as the whiter felts, I don't know what is the result
> in term of fiber longevity, but it may be possible that the
> carbonizing is drying the fiber, so the resiliency hold less in time
> (just wandering).
> If you have some ideas about this I for sure will appreciate it. There
> where a very nice felt on Bosendorfers hammers too, coming from
> another felt maker in Germany, V.G.F. , no more information at this
> moment but for sure I like to know a little more about this wonderful
> material...
>
> Sorry for the long post , I type fast so I think and type at the same
> time.
>
> Thanks in advance if you can clear me a bit.
>
> With best regards.
>
> Isaac OLEG

Isaac,

You obviously know a lot more about felt than I do. I am sure that
Ronsen has tried various felt brands for their hammers. No doubt I have
used these hammers in my rebuilding. I can't say that I have notice much
of a difference in tone quality due to the quality or brand of felt. I
do notice that the hammers have varied over the years in felt density
and overall weight. I attribute most of the differences it tone I
experience to these two issues.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin