Bridge Construction Method

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 19 Apr 2003 11:46:39 -0400

Hello Ron and all.

Let say we want to make a vertically laminated long bridge with nine 3.6 =
mm thick laminations. That will give you a bridge about 33 mm wide. The =
figure below represents unbent laminations in the area of the =
troublesome (for me anyway!)dogleg. What about laying up the laminations =
as below, having let's say five (whatever in reality) laminations be =
continuous through the dogleg, and the others terminate on either side =
of the dogleg. Bend gently (never any more bend needed than in the =
sections not at the dogleg), glue, and then trim the normal-looking =
dogleg curves with bandsaw and sand. You've got a large overlap at the =
dogleg, I can't imagine there would be any loss in strength - not =
torturing the maple laminations, perhaps there would even be an increase =
in strength. As long as we are not interrupting the "circle of sound" =
(heaven forbid!), I should think this would ease the task of =
dogleg-making, allow the use of thicker laminates, and give you complete =
freedom to make the dogleg dimensions (curve radii) any size you want - =
you will be simply cutting these cosmetic curves rather than having the =
curves originate from the integral bend. Heck, be a radical - leave them =
squared-off as plate configuration allows!!!!!!!!!
                                                    =
______________
                                                    =
                                                    =