Even balance weight or even something else, that's the question.

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Sun, 20 Apr 2003 10:09:00 -0400

David Love wrote:

> Why do we assume that even balance weight should be the standard which
> translates to a lighter feel at the upper end of the piano than at the
> lower end.  Anybody experimenting or setting up pianos with a graduated and
> increasing balance weight or, better yet, with uniform inertia?
>
> David Love
> davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

David,

As far as I know no one has created the tools or methods to calibrate an
even gradation of inertia in an action. I think it would be difficult to
use key leads to balance the action statically and dynamically at the
same time.

Please refer to the illustration I have posted on my web site. If you go
to the information page there is now a link to a page I have created for
materials of interest to technicians. I have posted a drawing of how to
measure the moment of force and the moment of inertia.

The greatest variation in inertia is found in the keys due to variations
in the leading pattern. I suppose keeping the leading pattern as even as
possible would provide a rough calibration of key inertia.

BTW both of these keys could have the same moment of force but the lower
key would have a lower moment of inertia.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin
Grand Pianos Since 1979