Even balance weight or even something else, that's thequestion.

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 17:56:27 -0500

>Thanks Phil,
>
>Maybe I have this wrong could you help? The leads in a key lighten the
>touch when the key is pushed slowly. So for soft playing it looks like
>they assist in playing the key. At what point do the leads begin to hinder
>the touch? I am making an assumption but it looks to me like they help up
>to the point they are accelerated past the speed they would fall. After
>that additional energy needs to be applied to move the lead faster. As a
>key is played faster and faster more of it begins to accelerate past the
>falling point. A lead out toward the end could be hindering the touch and
>a lead near the balance point would still be helping to depress the key.

>John Hartman RPT

Hi John,
That's the way inertia works. The faster you try to accelerate a given mass
through a given distance, the more force it takes, and the harder it is to
stop once it is moving. The greater the mass, the more force it takes to
move it the same distance in the same amount of time. That's just what
you're seeing in the action. When the mass gets too great, it's harder to
push through the keystroke quickly (though it's easy to push through
slowly), and since you can't add similar power to the return, the extra
mass just moves slower. Makes it hard to play, and slows repetition. Is
that any help? I don't know how to figure how much is too much without
finding out the hard way.

Ron N