krakauer tuning pin size

Thu, 24 Apr 2003 13:02:31 -0500

Folks,

I'm finally getting around to working on my 5'7" Krakauer and finding some
interesting things.

One is that the beastie has 3/0 pins throughout, w/o any evidence of it
ever having been re-whatevered at any point.

Of course, it may have been done so far in the past that the patina is that
of an 80 yr old piano (which it is). If it has been restrung, it was very
well done with exactly three coils and all beckets pretty well oriented in
the same direction.

Questions:

1. Were 3/0 pins original equipment in some pianos of that vintage (not
just Krakauer)?

2. I haven't taken the scale yet, but am I likely to find one with tensions
so high that 3/0 was necessary to hold pitch? BTW, they are 2 1/4" length,
which probably is a factor.

I hope to avoid any unpleasant surprises.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician
Vox-(563)-387-1204 // Fax (563)-387-1076

- People never grow up, they just learn how to act in public. -Bryan White