Key Leads and Inertia

Fri, 25 Apr 2003 09:11:50 +0200

Paul McCloud wrote:

> John:
>         I fail to see what this has to do with real-world dynamics.
> Since the lead is integral with the keystick, not suspended by a thread,
> the inertia is going to be the same no matter how much acceleration is
> generated by the pianist's finger.  What am I missing?
>         Paul McCloud
>         San Diego

I've wondered about this two, scratching my head a bit. But taking things at
face value I do have a couple questions if somebody has the answers handy.

1. Isnt this question about lead in the key really about its total mass, and
if you first were going to conceptually <<de-couple>> the lead mass and
dangle it on a string, wouldnt you have to do that for the wood mass as well
?

2. How fast is the approximate fastest we could expect the key to be
accelerated by human fingers in the first place ?

3. Exceeding 980/sec^2 just means you are not getting any more <<help>> as
it were from the force that is gravity. But this isnt the same as saying
that doing so somehow creates an increase in resistance to
acceleration....yes ?? Its not like gravity has a kind of reverse gear
affect here.

4. From your (Johns) diagram about how to figure Inertia I have a question
that goes along the same lines. Seems like it would be better to measure
points independant of lead placement, and rather symetrical accross the
front half of the key... or what ?

Cheers
RicB

--