files@ptg.org, place tech files on the web at ptg.org

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 10:38:47 -0500

On Friday, April 25, 2003, at 09:02  AM, Ron Nossaman wrote:
>> It works as follows:
>> Attached tech files may be e-mailed to the following address:
>> files@ptg.org
>> The files will be moderated, mostly to guard against corrupted and
>> otherwise technically problematic files.
>> When approved, a link to the file will be posted to pianotech.
>
> For continuity, the link should be sent back directly to the sender,
> rather than being posted to pianotech, so that the link and the
> message it is associated with appear at the same time and in the same
> email. Just like it would with an embedded photo or attachment, so
> anyone interested wouldn't have to hunt down and hand assemble two
> separate postings to get one.
>
> Also, what is the proposed shelf life of the posted files? They would
> have to be considered as archives, I presume.
>
> Ron N

Hey, we're flexible.

If you want to place a file on the web using files@ptg.org and then
post a message about it and link to that file, that's fine. We'll send
the link back to you.

If you want to send a message and attached file to files@ptg.org, we'll
forward the message (with the attachment removed and replaced by a
link) to pianotech.

Either way is fine. but as you presume, this is intended as an archive
just as permanent as other archives, so in order to make the "files"
archive itself searchable, it would be good to send the file's
description along with the attached file to files@ptg.org.

Kent