hammer velocity

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 22:34:01 EDT

Del writes:
<<  Indeed, in a typical "modern"
>concert grand the keys in the bass up through the mid-range will
>have fully bottomed somewhat before the hammer begins to move. From
>that point on energy is moving through the system and is being
>delayed by the compression and flexing of the various action
>components.... >>

Greetings,
   After studying Askenfelt's measurements,  I understood that in forte
playing the key bottomed out before hammer/string contact was made, but I
didn't see it as happening before hammer movement. perhaps I have misread his
graphing.  Does it really show that keybottom is reached before hammer
movement?  I am taking hammer movement to occur with jack motion .

Anyhow, action timing of events can be found at this address:
<A HREF="http://www.speech.kth.se/music/5_lectures/">Five lectures on the
Acoustics of the piano</A>

Ed Foote RPT
www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/