Today's Puzzler

Bill Maxim wmaxim@sc.rr.com
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 21:31:17 -0400

List,

Servicing a geriatric Chickering concert grand today, D4 had a rattle =
somewhere in the action that sounded like metal on wood.  I was in the =
process of regulating backchecks and noted that the backcheck wire was =
loose in the key, so I fixed that with thin CA glue.  The rattle =
persisted and seemed to be coming from the top action, so I pulled the =
wippen.  There was no rattle in the key, the capstan was tight, and =
everything appeared tight in the wippen, even when banging it on the =
table.  What was causing the noise?

Bill Maxim