Thick of it!

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 19:18:00 -0600

MessageHi Alan,
The case parts will present the biggest problem. The job you describe =
can be done but it involves changing the back felt, balance rail felt, =
and front rail felt. In the end it is faster to plane the surfaces down =
to match the ezisting dimentions.
If you do decide to try it, set C1 and C#1,  C4 and C#4,
G7 and G#7 as samples and balance them out so that everything works =
correctly including trying with the fall board on to see that there is =
enough clearance. The last time I chose to do this the top of the =
plastic came out the same hight as the wood on the top of the sharp =
keys. so there was no problem with the fall board but to get the correct =
balance for dip I had to be a little shal we say creative, Especially =
since the balance rail was warped and sagged down between the hold down =
screws. Also note hight of balance rail above the key button and how =
much the end of the key enters the key front.
Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Alan=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Friday, August 01, 2003 6:38 PM
  Subject: Thick of it!

  Got a rush job to put plastic tops where there once was ivory in an =
vintage upright ... If I'm going to rebed and level all the keys with =
new felts anyway, is it really, reeeeeally necessary to take the tops =
down to make up for the difference in the thickness of the plastic vs. =
ivory?

  (Was that a run-on sentence, or what? Sorry, Mrs. Z.)

  Alan R. Barnard
  Salem, MO

  ---