Shop Update

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Sat, 2 Aug 2003 23:56:10 -0500

Regarding low ceilings with nails, I have but two words to offer you:
Hard Hat.

Sounds like a lot of fun! Wish I were there to help. (I'll bet those
last two sentences pegged the needle on your Bull-O-Meter?)

"But at least out there it's a DRY heat." To which you may reply: "Yeah.
So is a brick oven!"

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Robert Goodale
Sent: Saturday, August 02, 2003 11:08 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Shop Update

Hello,  it's been a while so here is the latest regarding our new
rebuilding shop...

We finally passed inspection for framing, electrical, gas line, etc.
The stucco is complete, the roof is on, and the skylights are installed
and looking good.

We are now undergoing the absolute miserable experience of insulation.
R-19 in the walls, and R-30 in the ceiling.  Just a few adjectives to
describe this experience:
Itchy, Hot, Irritating, Painful, Frustrating, Messy, Dusty, Dangerous.
(Did I mention itchy?)

Yes, we're talking fiberglass.  I don't know which is worse, breathing
through a mask in the Las Vegas 100 degree heat or the itching.  The
walls are finished and the ceiling in the action room and office are
complete, but the main shop is becoming a nightmare.  Being a 10'
ceiling makes it a little tricky but the skylights are hell.  The sides
of the chutes where the skylights  drop between the trusses must be
insulated all around.  This has morphed into one of the most frustrating
tasks in the whole project.  There isn't enough room in this particular
area to stand, there are deadly nails protruding in the roof from the
shingles so I don't dare lift my head, I have to do a balancing act from
the ladder, and I can't reach around the sides.  I have eight to do and
only finished one today.  I even managed to drop and break the stapler.
My vocabulary has been very colorful today.

We had an estimator out for installing a heat pump and duct work.  His
figure: $9,000.  Holy moly.  Do we have a choice?  Not much, gotta have
it in Las Vegas.  We were guessing maybe $5K.  He says for a cheepee
maybe, but not for someone who is serious about high usage, long life,
and energy efficiency.

More to come...

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV