Kawai Polyester Repair

Paul McCloud pmc303@ricochet.com
Mon, 4 Aug 2003 06:30:51 -0700

I've had a lot of experience with polyester, but I think the finish
you're dealing with isn't polyester.  Kawai has been using a different
process on their high gloss pianos of late.  It is a kind of shrink
process, and the underlayment is separated from the topcoat by wax.
Call Don Mannino and ask him about it.  I once examined a rosewood Kawai
piano that I was going to touchup, but declined the job when I was able
to flake off the finish around the damaged area.  You are likely looking
at a new replacement lid.  Good luck.
	Paul McCloud
	San Diego

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Julio Barea
Sent: Sunday, August 03, 2003 7:07 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Kawai Polyester Repair

I recently attempted an edge repair on a lid for a Kawai RX-2.  This is
a polyester finish. I have been doing polyester for a while now but I
could not get this repair to take.  I kept burning through the beveled
edge to the red underneath. Anyone who is very experienced in poly
repair would be a great help to me with any advice.  I intend to focus
on finish repair as the core of my business. The products I use
exclusively are Konig.

---
"Those of us who dance appear insane to those who can't
hear the music."  George Carlin
"I am prepared to meet my maker.  Whether my maker is prepared
for the great ordeal of meeting me, is another matter."
Winston Churchhill.