Stuart and Sons launch

Tue, 05 Aug 2003 11:37:59 +0200

Hi folks

The Stuart and Sons folks sent this along and asked if I might forward
it too you all. It is in response to Mr Bedaks comments about their
recent launch of the 2.2 mm grand.

Cheers

RicB

Dear Mr Brekne,

The "review" by Mr Simon Bedak of the Stuart & Sons 2.2m grand piano
launch
has just been brought to my attention. It is old news now but I would
like
to make the following observations as I am wondering whether Mr Bedak
and I
were at the same concert!

There were three instruments on the stage that evening but they were
used in
various combinations.

Solo    Chopin Nocturnes
Chu Wang Hua Chinese Folk Melodies

Soprano with piano Poulenc and Barber

Duo     Dukas The Sorceror's Apprentice
        Judy Bailey Kaleidoscope Improvisation for two pianos
        Grainger Porgy and Bess

Three pianos + percussion Matthew Hindson Pulse Magnet (originally for 2

pianos but arranged for 3 for the finale)

I quote Mr Bedak on the programming. "From the program, the highlight
for me
was a premiere performance of Chu Wang Hua's 'Three Fantasies on Chinese

Folk Melodies' which, unlike other offerings, didn't attempt to play
arrangements for all of the three new pianos at once....." This
statement is
quite misleading in terms of usage of the pianos.

In view of the audience base for the night and the nature of the event,
the
program was designed for broad appeal as well as to demonstrate the
capabilities of the pianos.

There was much in the choice of music that amply demonstrated the
subtlety
and stillness that Mr Bedak's "intent ear" seems to have missed! The
Chopin,
the Folk Melodies plus the accompaniments for the soprano. The
razzamataz of
the Hindson was a fitting end to the concert and certainly the pianists
created "mashes of sound" at this point because it was appropriate. The
four
pianists and the percussionist who performed are among Australia's
finest
musicians and they created a tremendous sense of occasion through their
skills and musicianship.

Subsequently, these small pianos have been used on other occasions
including
a performance by The Tel Aviv Trio, (finalists in the Chamber Music
Competition in Melbourne recently), in the Great Synagogue, Sydney. For
the
record, the pianist marvelled at how softly he could play, the
tremendous
dynamic range and tone colours of the instrument.

I absolutely agree with the comments on the Stuart workforce - making
these
instruments is very much a team effort, the skill and dedication of the
young men is absolutely essential to the success of these pianos.

I tried to send this email to the pianotech address but it was rejected.

Would you be able to pass it on so that this reply can be read by those
who
were interested in Mr Bedak's comments and perhaps directly on to Mr
Bedak
himself.

Yours sincerely,

Katie Stuart