Piano Stage Truck - Integral?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 5 Aug 2003 12:46:50 -0400

Hello all ye esteemed knowledgeable piano tech folks.

Have a 6' 4" grand piano that will soon undergo a complete redo. It will reside on a stage in a recital hall. The piano will be rolled on and off stage. I personally do not think a piano should be rolled on normally configured legs with casters. I also think the wonderfully utilitarian stage trucks that roll oh-so-nicely look, er, a, utilitarian at best (you know what I am really thinking). I would like to put some of those nice big brass dual 3-1/2" diameter wheel casters on the legs and then construct a wooden structure that goes behind the lyre (or incorporates the bottom portion of the lyre) and ties the three legs together. I have seen this type of apparatus on some 18th and 19th century pianos. Make it real pretty - same wood as case, finish the same, etc.

Has anyone ever done such a thing? Anyone ever seen one done like that? Anyone ever pushed a piano that was equipped like this? Anyone like to tell me I'm a nut and should just order a clunky stage truck like a normal technician?

Seems to me this kind of thing could easily be made strong enough to substitute for a clunky metal stage truck. Opinions? What would a set of 3-3/8" wide by 3-1/2" tall brass casters do to an oak stage floor?

Thanks for any and all input.

Terry Farrell