Steinway M Agraffe - Broke?

Richard Strang rstrang@pa.inter.net
Tue, 5 Aug 2003 17:42:47 -0500

Is the extractor mentioned and "Easy Out"?

Richard

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of David Love
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 12:29 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: RE: Steinway M Agraffe - Broke?

Probably a broken agraffe.  I've never seen a chunk of plate come out.
Most likely it is a 1/4" shank but I would bring a 7/32" just in case the
piano is older than he thinks and it is the old style.  They are available
from Schaff, Pianotek or Steinway.  You'll need an extractor.  Most of the
time the shank comes out easily.  Sometimes it has bonded to the plate and
can be more difficult.  When drilling the hole in the shank for the
extractor test make sure you go deep enough that there is no danger of
shearing off the tip of the extractor itself.  If the shank doesn't want to
budge, don't force it.  Having to grind out a broken extractor is really a
pain.  Drill a hole all the way through (try and keep it centered).
Enlarge the hole with a larger drill bit until the brass is thin enough to
peel out from the hole with the help of a thin punch or even an awl (it's
quite soft).  Retap and screw in the new one.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

middle C on a 1970-ish Steinway M. I am not very familiar with Steinway
agraffes. How would it have come loose? He says the piano has not been
restrung. Most likely agraffe head broke off the stem? Threads were damaged
upon installation and have stripped out? Which would usually strip, the
agraffe or the plate (I certainly hope the agraffe)? Chunk of plate broke
off with agraffe (YIKES!) ????????

> Also, assuming this is going to be a simple agraffe replacement, where do
I get a suitable replacement agraffe and where? I seem to recall that
Steinway threads are some odd size - is it the 7/32" that Pianotek sells?
The guy thinks the piano is about 30 years old - did Steinway always use
the same size threads, or should I be going there with a couple different
size agraffes (piano is on the other side of town - would like to try and
solve problem on first trip)?