Music Sorb product

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Wed, 6 Aug 2003 19:08:43 -0500

Carman,

No experience, but will be getting some this year.  I have received a
sample quantity of the product, which I will be placing in selected
customers' pianos, and making purely subjective jusdgements about whether
it helps control humidity-stimulated pitch changes.  I expect that if you
want some samples to try, you could get them.

Here's my partially informed opinion:  I was in the same limo with Terry,
same conversation with "the Music-Sorb guy" Taylor McKinnon.  IMHO, a
couple pounds of any magic crystals won't have the capacity to absorb a
summer's worth of Wisconsin humidity, nor to maintain the necessary
moisture content during a 30%RH winter.  But it just might clip the peaks
of the extreme changes, say  in a place where they sometimes opens the
window, and sometimes runs the AC.  And when the heat  comes on in
November, instead of the piano drying out in a week, it might stretch the
drying out over a month or so.  It remains to be seen whether this can be
heard in the tuning stability.

Mike Spalding RPT