advice today please!

Richard Strang rstrang@pa.inter.net
Thu, 7 Aug 2003 23:34:26 -0500

I live in the Republic of Panama. Is that a gray market area? Please fill me
in on gray market pianos. I'm all ears.

Richard
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Tvak@aol.com
  Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2003 3:08 PM
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: advice today please!

  List

  Tomorrow I go into the den of iniquity, i.e., Biasco Piano, to examine a
piano on a client's behalf.  It is a pre-owned U1, serial #725700.  Biasco
is expecting me to come tomorrow to check it out and have agreed to let me
see it.  Now, he has already put money down on this piano so I'm not sure if
the deal can be nixed at this point, no matter what I find, but what general
advice would you have for someone in this situation?  I've never been called
on before to examine a piano at any dealer before, let alone at Biasco.  I'm
not looking for advice on what aspects of the piano to check; I can in all
modesty say that I am fully qualified to examine this piano for its
integrity, quality and/or any potential problems.

  It's the ethical/business aspects that I ask advice on.  For starters, I
plan on saying nothing to the folks at Biasco about what I find.  The client
is paying me for advice and I will give it to him directly.  But if I find
something that is truly wrong (and being Biasco...this could be possible)
can I be held liable in some way if the client decides to back out of the
deal?

  I've already warned him of gray market Yamahas, but he's not particularly
concerned.  He already owns another Yamaha and thought he could provide the
serial number to that piano if any parts were needed for this piano.  I had
to admit that most of the parts would probably be interchangeable.  Not an
ethical way to deal with a problem, but since the problem at this point
doesn't exist, I chose not to address it.

  So, any advice will be appreciated.  I don't want to get myself into any
trouble over this.  I really don't expect to find anything radically wrong
with this piano.  I think it's just going to be another one hour service
call, but I'm sure many of you have been here before and will have some
great advice.

  If I can avoid stepping in it, I'd gladly walk around it!

  Tom Sivak