bridge on model 0

resife resife2001@yahoo.com
Fri, 8 Aug 2003 00:20:54 -0700 (PDT)

Yes plenty of crown / downbearing and no cracks and yes it has lots of upwards and downwards movement in its unstrung state. I have had many frames out of pianos over the years and normally when you have to attend to a bass bridge it is already actually falling off and either  falls off as you take the bass strings off or is so loose that you merely have to give it a tap. In this case there was obvious separation at the edges but its stuck fast undeneath in the middle. The buzzes in the bass area came and went depending on the weather but there were only buzzes in the bass - the obvious choices were string or bridge pin but neither of these turned out to be the problem. I still think that all the lacquer on the board/bridge may be the cause. I will be stripping and refinishing the soundboard in any event and obviously checking where the soundboard meets the cabinet and this too could be a possibility.

Greg Newell <gnewell@ameritech.net> wrote:At 11:45 PM 8/7/2003, you wrote:

>There is nothing wrong with the pinblock or the soundboard

Meaning what? No cracks? Is there crown? Do you have adequate bearing?

>but the whole bangshoot has been smothered with gunk at the factory,
>infact on the surrounds of the bass bridge underneath, you can feel the
>dried "drops" of gunk. I start to wonder if the buzzes are not caused by
>some of this stuff having perhaps lifted a bit over the years, the quality
>! of this piano is really rough.
>
>The bridge has no dowels holding it, just the four screws through belly
>buttons from underneath, with those out there is quite a bit of movement
>and creaking etc. I have run a knife around the edges to "break" the seal
>and have got some separation but I am afraid that some of the soundboard
>may come off attached to the bridge !

Count on it!!!

>As I said before being a modern piano they have not used hide glue but
>some other stuff - what ? - so I don't know what to disolve it with or
>even if it will disolve.
>
>Before coming this far I have in the past tried & tested the bridge
>pins,strings/ checked the frame bolts/hinges/ also where the soundboard
>meets the cabinet - this soundboard has lots of flex

I'm afraid I don't understand this description. Is this flex in it's
currently un-strung state?

>- far more than "normal" ( does that exist?). In any event I have now come
>this far so I'm stuck with the problem. There seemed little point in going
>to all the trouble in taking out the frame and putting it back without
>actually getting at what seems to be the problem - in other words the
>bridge - not so ?

Certainly you should tackle the problem but I'm guessing that it may lie
deeper than just the bridge. More accurately that one problem may lead to
another making only bridge work a scratch on the surface of bigger problems.

I don't wish to come across poorly here. I really don't know what level of
experience you have and I'm only throwing out ideas. It just seems to me
that the overwhelming evidence in the filed from this type of piano is that
there might be other issues. What tests did you perform that make you think
the problem is coming only and solely from the bridge? BTW, which bridge
are we talking about here? Seems like there might be some piece of the
puzzle missing here.