Muting Pattern

Fri, 8 Aug 2003 08:34:09 -0700

I prefer unisons as you go also.  I use a split mute for uprights and two
wide (7/8"?) mutes without wires for grands.  I prefer wider mutes for the
grands because the narrow ones tend to fall over or are dislodged too
easily in the tenor range.   I prefer to tune the center string first.  On
an upright, when tuning the treble, I tune the center string, move the mute
to the bass side, tune the right string, move the mute to the treble side,
tune the left string, then you are ready to tune the center string of the
next note without moving the mute (or reverse if tuning down).  This gets
more awkward when you get up into the treble so up there I tune center,
move the mute right, tune left string, then tune center of the next note,
move the mute right, tune left string followed by the right string of the
previous note, etc...

The only issue with this method is whether you like to tune the last unison
with all three strings open.  I go back and forth on this.  Ultimately, you
have to listen to the note with all strings open.  I usually do this on all
tunings with a final pass just to check unisons playing the notes
relatively softly at a level where you can hear any of the unisons trying
to open up.

On grands, just work with two mutes, tune center, move the right mute
right, tune right string, move the left mute right, tune left string, etc.,
or vice versa going down.

At the very top of the treble (last fourth, or so depending on the clarity
of tone) I tend to tune the left and right strings to the machine and pull
up the center by ear.  Or, if the piano is very dirty up there, I just tune
all the unisons to the machine.

I also use a Verituner, BTW.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net