Renner Blues on a S&S B

Tue, 12 Aug 2003 17:19:51 +0200

Not knowing just how much needling experience you have makes it a bit harder
to advise, but just so.

If they are unneedled hammers then

Probably about 15 to 20 deep (triple needled tool) on the shoulders from about
10 oclock to 11 and 2 oclock to 3. Aim just a bit steeper then the  grade of
the hammer. Pinch to feel for springiness, listen as you go.  Then shallower
jabs... perhaps 10 each shoulder upwards just off the crown. Again listen as
you go. Reshape and wait a day to do the fine needling... which hopefully will
be just some shallow needling to even things out.

If they are already needled, then you are to no small degree dependant on
whats been done before. Pinch the shoulders and get a feel for what kind of
springyness there is... listen for for anything that sounds a bit contant...
hard, direct, crashy... that kind of thing. If you have little springyness and
some of those words fit the sound, then give it about 10 deep jabs each
shoulder to open up the cushion as it were. You might not notice a whole lot
right away... but wait 30 minutes or so before getting anxious to go for
more.  If they just seem zingy, but not particularilly contant.... direct...
then try a bit of shallow stuff up close to the crown.

Probably they will need a bit more aggressive needling then the stuff I am
used to over here. But once you have a nice cushioned open up hammer you
should be able to get a nice enough voice on them.

Cheers
RicB