Soundboard crown

Wed, 13 Aug 2003 12:20:00 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sarah Fox" <sarah@gendernet.org>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: August 13, 2003 8:23 AM
Subject: Re: Soundboard crown

> Hi Del,
>
> re carbon fiber:
>
> > Yes. (It doesn't behave as much like wood as I'd like and I've not
studied
> > it as much as I'd like.)
>
> Yes, I just finished reading the sound blurb on the Rain Song guitar
site.
> Very interesting and informative.  It would appear that carbon fiber --
and
> steel -- are so efficient at higher frequencies that they do not resemble
> the very inefficient material, wood.  Is that the problem, as you see it?
> The steel piano I heard was not percussive *enough* in the treble, and so
it
> didn't sound like "a piano."  The unpianolike properties I heard roughly
> correspond to the frequency-dependent attenuation properties discussed on
> the Rain Song site.
>
> Peace,
> Sarah

Essentially, yes. Some work would have to be done to more-or-less duplicate
the damping properties of wood. Or, we could always reinvent the
instrument. I used to think this would be impossible and then I came across
the veritable floods of Asian pianos. The public's perception has been
(probably) permanently altered by approximately four decades of rock-hard
piano sound backed by massive marketing and cheap prices. Sigh.\

Del