damper felts too wide

Tvak@aol.com Tvak@aol.com
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 16:09:24 EDT

List

Kimball grand, circa 1930 or so.   Bottom 5 or 6 dampers won't dampen.   They
seem to descend slowly...except when lifted by the damper pedal.   Then, they
all plop right down and dampen just fine.   Upon further examination, I find
that if I hold the adjacent dampers away, I can get any of them to dampen just
fine when lifted by the key.   Looks as if the damper felts are in contact
with one another, and when lifted singly, the friction from the adjacent damper
felt is enough to slow its descent and make it not dampen properly.   These
are monochord dampers, and through the ages, I think they've spread a little.
(It's happening to me...why not a damper felt?)

Assuming that this is the proper diagnosis of the problem, what would you
recommend using to narrow the offending damper felts?   Some possibilities in my
feeble mind include:
     1.   Using sandpaper to file them.
     2.   I don't think I could razor blade them neatly enough...
     3.   Ironing them...?
     4.   Squeezing them with a pliers.
     5.   Alcohol and a heat gun.
     6.   Just a gun.   (Aimed at my right temple. That'll stop those bass
strings from ringing!)

I'm pretty sure that I've correctly analyzed the problem, but can anyone
think of another reason these dampers will dampen as a group, but not
individually?   The damper rod is not holding them too high.   They are not misaligned.
There is not much follow through, but they dampen fine as a group.   There is
sufficient lift of the dampers from either the pedal or the key.

Thanks in advance for any ideas, suggestions...or guns.

Tom Sivak