damper felts too wide

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 13:34:41 -0700

At 04:11 PM 8/13/2003 -0400, Ed wrote:
>Tom asks:
><<   Some possibilities in my
>feeble mind include:
>      1.   Using sandpaper to file them.
>      2.   I don't think I could razor blade them neatly enough...
>      3.   Ironing them...?
>      4.   Squeezing them with a pliers.
>      5.   Alcohol and a heat gun.
>      6.   Just a gun.   (Aimed at my right temple. That'll stop those bass
>strings from ringing!) >>
>
>The work is action removal and damper removal,  why not just glue on some new
>damper felt??????????

I concur. However, I've gotten similar dampers to work (more or less) by
trimming outside of the "ears", the parts which are spreading, with a small
sharp
pair of scissors, so that they are pointed, and a little bit shorter.
Anything below the string line at rest is not damping.

Sometimes the trimming can be done in the piano, though of course it's
easier to be neat with the damper in one's hand.

A gun is not a piano tool. <grin>

Susan