Soundboard crown

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 14:58:31 -0700 (PDT)

That was in reference to the previous inquiry.
     It seems to me that a board built flat, with no
crown but with plenty of bearing, will soon collapse.
     With some strings pulling up against their bridge
pins ( as others cave the board in through forces
exerted elsewhere on the bridge ) their force vector,
normally pressing primarily downward on the bridge,
will be transferred to an "up and against" direction.
With more force thus on the bridge pin pulling it up
and away from the bridge, it seems to me that widening
of the bridge pin hole and general loosening would be
accelerated. In other words: the force vector would be
further from the bridge surface, creating more of a
fulcrum at the surface itself.
     Am I in error?
     Gordon

--- Delwin D Fandrich <pianobuilders@olynet.com>