Chappell Yacht Piano

Alan Forsyth alanforsyth@fortune4.fsnet.co.uk
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 23:50:53 +0100

Well hello there!
Here is an animated version of an 1893 Chappell "Yacht" piano that came into
my possession a few weeks ago. Note the fold-away keyboard to save space on
boats. The keyboard only extends down as far as C1. Not much of a sound
comes from this instrument as it is straight strung and the usual overdamper
which I tend to end up with. The action is slightly miniaturized to save
space. These pianos were very popular with the Royal Navy and it is the 3rd
one I have come across. It appears that they were produced for at least 30
years as the oldest I came across was 1883 and the youngest I encountered
was 1902. Any suggestions as to what to call the animation? Dancing piano,
smile, or something like "don't touch me or I'll bite".

Have fun
Alan Forsyth
Edinburgh

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...