More on soundboard crown

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 23:18:24 -0400

Ron,

You clarified you position on this just fine. Let me be clear about the
way I see it.

There is practicly no difference between the two methods of soundboard
building viewed from the perspective of mechanical performance. If they
have the same dimensioned parts they will have about the same stiffness
and mass. Therefor they will have the about the same acoustical
performance. acoustical performance being dictated by these two factors.

Panel crowning puts the panel into more compression than rib crowning. I
estimate this to be at most about 30% of maximum psi of side grain
compression if building a soundboard with average dimensioned ribs.
Panel crowning requires that the ribs be glued on at a lower moisture
content than rib crowning. These two factors increase stress on the
panel. This stress is regrettable but only a fraction of the amount of
stress any type of soundboard with a solid wood panel will have to
endure with seasonal changes in humidity.

Advantages of rib crowning soundboards:

Somewhat less stress on the soundboard panel.
allows for the use of heavier ribs if you are so inclined.
More controllable results.

Myths about panel crowning.

The ribs don't contribute to soundboard stiffness (unless all of the
crown is gone. in this theory the soundboard become stiffer when it is
flat).

The ribbing process uses all of the available compression of the panel
causing the soundboard to immediately collapse.

Myths about rib crowning:

Improved tonal performance.

Impervious to loss of crown due to swings in humidity.

A new and improved technique (it was described in a late 19nth century
text on piano building).

That's all I have to say on this topic unless something strikes me as
off like your description of negative stiffness. I will let you get the
last words in on this topic. I know you will, you have a lot more riding
on this than I do.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin