More on soundboard crown

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 10:42:39 -0400

Hi Terry,

>Well, you blew it. Now you are in the middle of it AND ITS ALL YOUR
FAULT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL!  Ack!  I innocently wandered between two battling elk and tried to have
an intelligent exchange with one of them.  How stupid is that?!  I blame the
virus.  Yes, that's right.  The virus.  (really)  It congested internet
traffic enough that much of my email was delayed (arriving quite out of
order), and made less sense. <groan>

> I'm having a hard time following your paper clip experiment. Where and how
is the paper clip supported/immobilized? Is the clip straightened out and
supported at the two ends and depressed in the middle? Where is the leaf
spring situated, etc. Please clarify.

It doesn't matter.  A spring is a spring.  Supported on two ends or
supported only on one end (either one or both), it's the same experiment.
The point is that when the leaf spring is added to the mix, BOTH must now be
displaced with the finger in combination.

Other matters...

I was kinda hoping you would hop on board as someone who wants to develop
the carbon fiber soundboard!  ;-)  Hey, there are always ways nature can be
improved.  Consider the carbon fiber tree in Florida -- able to withstand
any hurricane.  Also greater compliance to higher frequencies and lower
inertia would mean that the tree would be less susceptible to damage when
whacked by flying limbs from conventional trees and bits and pieces of your
houses down there.  Definitely a useful evolutionary advancement!

Seriously, take a look at the rainsong.com website and read their blurb
about the sound of their carbon fiber boards.  It looks like carbon fiber
behaves a lot like steel (e.g. the 5 lectures, where you can listen to a
sound file of a steel piano).

I checked with the stringed instrument manufacturer, and they only do cellos
and double basses.  They're still trying to figure out the violin and viola.
A guitar is intermediate in size and pitch and apparently sounds very
"different" from a wooden one.  (There's more tolerance for that in the
guitar world, I suspect.)  The common thread is that they're all having
trouble with too much responsiveness on the high frequency end, such that
their instruments do not resemble the wooden ones.  (They respond TOO well.)
It's difficult to make something more responsive, but making it less
responsive (e.g. with damping characteristics) is easy.  Fine tuning the
inefficiencies may take a bit more work, but it can be done.

Might you consider trying this?  Florida's a bit out of the way for me, but
I think I'd enjoy collaborating on a carbon fiber soundboard with someone.
You're intellectually curious and industrious, and you're moving into new
areas of practice.  I'm hungry (figuratively), I know acoustics, and I could
use some new avenues for income besides the stock market <groan>.  I've
thought about how to replicate the treble inefficiencies, and I have an idea
or two.  This could work.

Also, consider your market.  You Floridians live in steam.  Wouldn't it be
great to have a soundboard that doesn't "care" about the humidity?  Think of
pianos by the poolside.  Think of cruise ships!  ;-)  Consider the larger
commercial potential.  A means for replicating wood's high frequency loss
would certaintly be worthy of a patent, and the idea could be sold to the
manufacturers.  We could kill the killer octave!  ;-)

Seriously, would you be interested in such a thing????

Peace,
Sarah