Conover model 77- Mason clone

Robert Goodale rrg@unlv.edu
Fri, 15 Aug 2003 20:56:19 -0700

Well.... The model you are thinking of is the 88, not the 77.  The 77 is =
a decent specimen but it's the 88 that is a virtual clone of the Mason & =
Hamlin model 'A'.  The case even has the notorious M&H style molded bead =
around the rim, and the music rack is a very close copy.  Without =
looking at the fall board it's tough to tell which is which, and the =
sound is fabulous. =20

Hope I didn't burst your bubble.  The Conover grands in general were a =
decent pianos but the 88 was awesome.  I have one right now that is =
waiting for restoration.  It will get a new board, block, bridges, =
action, refinishing, etc.  I'm anticipating an orgasmic instrument when =
it's completed.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV

>  Hey  all
>  Last year some time there was a discussion about  the Conover model =
77 which was said to be a copy of a Mason & Hamlin Model A.
>  Intrigued byt the feed back I bought one. Paid too much. I wasn't =
planning on it but its getting a belly etc. and too much else. However =
it's not >  done so I can't speak from experience yet. Unfortunately the =
rim turns out to be made of poplar which is really soft & not maple. No =
cloning >  done there and I'm not real excited. I'm interested to know =
if any one works on any of these that are in good tonal condition or if =
any have
>  bellied one that turned out respectble.  Use your own definitions of =
what that all means, as I'm not fussy. Please render an opinion.=20
>  Today I  saw another one same vintage. Yawn. Needs strings, block and =
really a board but is it worth it. Sentiment only goes so far you know.