overcentering justified?

Roger Jolly roger.j@sasktel.net
Sun, 17 Aug 2003 10:33:34 -0600

> >>One puzzling thing is the comment about Roger Jolly's labeling of
>aftertouch as anathema to repetition since the key had to travel through
>it before
>things can reset.
>Do you think that .050 aftertouch is beginning to be too much for that
>reason? >>
>
>   Way too much.  If possible, get your dip and blow related so that you have
>no more than .035".   I have begun setting up Steinway actions with a usual
>.033" aftertouch and customers are very happy with the response.  I have
>concert
>actions out there with .025" and .040"  and they are considered to be playing
>very well.

Greetings Ed.
                       After touch:   Lost time and lost space.  <G>  You
need just enough to have the jack clear the knuckle by about 1mm with out
compressing the front rail felt punching.  A well designed and regulated
action,  .025" is all you need to be safe.
Where the action seems to call for more I usually find that the key ratio
is less than .5.  Or put another way a low percentage of key rise.   Low
key rations also domino's, into damper head aches, due to the low
percentage of key tail rise, adding to a less that satisfactory feel to
the  pianist.
Deep after touch is can usually be viewed as fudge 101, for a badly located
stack/capstan line etc.
To analyze the problem one has to look at many parameters. 1. Dip to cycle
the action, typically 10 to 10.5mm, at about 1 7/8" blow distance..   2.
Action spreads.  3. Hammer bore distances.  4.  Key ratio,  This can be the
more complex relationship of stack location, capstan line location and the
unmoveable balance rail location. 5. The health and status of the magic
line. 6. Finally on Steinway's. Is the wippen rail slightly rotated? I have
shimmed quite a few sets of flanges  to correct this, to restore the magic
line, and action spread.

Well I could ramble on for a while on the topic, but the question is not so
straight forward as we would like it to be.

PS I don't know if hammer rake has been mentioned, but over centering is a
no,no, with a new set of hammers period.  Slight under centering, you can
always file or play in,  to fit.  <G>

Regards Roger