Laminated ribs

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sun, 17 Aug 2003 17:34:40 EDT

          Those of you who routinely use a laminated rib.

         My question is are these flat laminated pieces cut with a crown in
them or are you crowning the ribs  in a curved caul. I know this was discussed
some time back but hey I don't recall it. If they're laminated in a curve
aren't they indeed more of a true arched rib (or arched beam) than a solid piece
of  spruce rib stock with a machine cut curve. In the rib glued in a curve the
ribs  the grain is indeed in an arch even if it was made thick enough to cut
the bottom of the rib flat so as it had more material in the middle than on the
ends. With a rib laminated in an arch config. it's also possible to have a
rib of uniform dimension (if thats desireable).
        I don't know Phil F got me to thinking about that.
   Dale