Laminated ribs

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sun, 17 Aug 2003 23:17:59 -0500

>        I agree. Also as I recall the whole idea behind curved laminated
> ribs is to produce a more uniformly strong rib or in other words
> something where strength calculations are more predictable

I think so. Averaging the noise in the system...

>If that's the case then how many laminations is desireable in a rib say 24
>to 28 mm tall?  3mm is about all most planers will squeeze down to so
>seems that 4 or 5 laminations of  5 or 6 mm would be all thats practical.
>So far in the few sets I've done I think I've used 4 to 5 laminations.
>      Dale

I haven't tried it to see what my planer will do for minimal thickness with
spruce, but it will do just under 2mm with maple. Again, I don't know what
the ideal is, but 5 laminations does seem to work pretty well for any given
rib. It's enough laminations to minimize spring back, enough to average out
most of the differences in the various pieces of wood used, and few enough
to not waste time and materials making more laminations than are really
necessary. it's another of the many balancing acts we do. There's probably
an optimal lamination schedule, but I don't just yet know what it is. Maybe
eventually.

Ron N