test blows

Tue, 19 Aug 2003 08:40:24 -0700

No, the string wasn't properly settled before the test blow.  The point was
that it doesn't require an "extremely hard test blow", as stated in the
original post, to do that.  Firm blows while manipulating the pin with
proper hammer technique will accomplish dependable stability (even through
a Rachmaninov performance).  Extremely hard test blows can actually drive
the pitch sharp, at least temporarily.  If you are strip muting the piano
and come back to tune unisons later, it can slip back flat with subsequent
playing and you will end up pulling your unisons to a note which is flat
(another reason to tune unisons as you go).  In that way, it would be
counterproductive (re another post).  This is not to mention the wear and
tear on your ears, hands, wrists, fingers, etc., that extremely hard test
blows deliver over time.  Many people do tune successfully with extremely
hard test blows, I just think it's unnecessary.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

than