Soundboard Crown

Tue, 19 Aug 2003 11:14:22 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph Garrett" <joegarrett@earthlink.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: August 19, 2003 10:44 AM
Subject: Re: Soundboard Crown

> Del,
> Have you ever tried using a harder wood for ribs, such as Silver Maple or
> Beech? Seems to me, that a stiffer wood would maintain the crown better,
but
> I wonder what it would do to the tone/sustain. Your comments are always
> appreciated.<G>
> Best Regards,
> Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
> Captain, Tool Police
> Squares Are I

Years back. I don't think I knew enough at the time to make a valid and
reasonable assessment of the results.

Maintaining crown is not an issue with crowned spruce ribs. By manipulating
height vs width they can be made as stiff as your little heart desires. But
the combination of stiffness vs mass might well be.

One of these days....

Del