Nitrocellulose lacquer won't dry properly on a lid

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 21:53:45 EDT

In a message dated 8/19/2003 10:25:23 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
cmpiano@comcast.net writes:

> Subj: Re: Nitrocellulose lacquer won't dry properly on a lid
>  Date: 8/19/2003 10:25:23 AM Pacific Daylight Time
>  From: <A HREF="mailto:cmpiano@comcast.net">cmpiano@comcast.net</A>
>  To: <A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
>  Sent from the Internet
>

> I have had the same problem with wood that had been stripped, but must have
> had some residue of varnish deep in the grain.  The lacquer would not dry
> but be gummy and sticky.  I assume the varnish residue is poisoning the
> lacquer. Steel wooling it and repeated spraying more lac finally did it.  A
> thin coat of shellac should seal it and allow the finish to dry.  I haven't
> tried it but I'm told that shellac is the finishers friend.  If the original
> finish was shellac it shouldn't have been a problem.  Perhaps the lid had
> been refinished with varnish at one time.  That would explain the other
> parts being free of the problem.
>
> Finishing can bring out many weird problems.
>
> Carl Meyer Ptg assoc
> Santa Clara, Ca.

                 Carl
   It probably wasn't varnish residue but its wax left over from the stripper
that floats to the top after the lacquer is sprayed on. A old finisher showed
me how to remedy this by wiping over the lac.with mineral spirits any time
this problem showed up and then respraying without further problem.
     Ca