test blows

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Wed, 20 Aug 2003 00:34:25 EDT

List,

Every piano is different:  and elderly upright with cedar shanks will
certainly get more gentle treatment from me than a new Asian piano.  Some of the new
pianos I tune in-store can be knocked a whole step south in the killer
octave-high treble range.  Worse yet, when I do "free" tunings, I sometimes follow up
"tooners" who have done the floor tuning.  They have no clue how to put
stability into an instrument.

First thing I do on a never-been tuned or "tooned" once piano?  Beat on it
chromatically from the treble break to C-88 and back down BEFORE I EVER LAY
HAMMER TO PIN.  This section is by far the easiest to knock out of whack.

Then I can start the pitch raise.

  Is this effective with new pianos?  When I do an in-home tuning of a piano
that I've prepped in the store, unless there are severe environmental factors
involved, the piano is usually well on it's way to stability.

Would I do that with an old Knabe Upright?  Not unless I wanted to spend a
good chunk of my day replacing hammer shanks and other action parts.

Test blows should indeed be firm enough to make certain the the string is
stable.  Most effective for me is a pretty firm test blow followed in rapid
succession by a light listening blow that allows me to hear the beating, whining,
or lack thereof.

Just my two cents,

Dave Stahl