test blows, unisons, intervals

Keith McGavern kam544@gbronline.com
Wed, 20 Aug 2003 01:05:27 -0500

At 1:43 AM -0400 8/20/03, Jlmatt@aol.com wrote:
>>As a general rule, if unisons go out it's your technique, if the intervals
>>>go out while the unisons stay solid, it's the environment.  There are, of
>>  >course, always mitigating factors
>>

>... is it because the right strings are shorter that they behave
>differently? Do you use a different technique for the left and right
>strings?
>the piano is a Yamaha U1

Jean-Luc,

I have been doing university tunings for 20 years + with numerous
U1s'. Invariably, during tuning preparation for the fall semester,
the tenor section and portions of the treble section, the right music
wire will always be different in relation to the middle music wire as
compared to the left music wire.

It's quite interesting to watch as I move up the scale how the two
sides will change with respect to one another.

 From the left side being on the flat side of the middle and the right
side being sharper ...  to the left side being in tune with the
middle with the right extremely sharp ... to the left side being
extremely flat with the right side in tune with the middle.

I can literally anticipate for the most part what to do with each
next note in a pitch change pass.

This phenomena has been discussed in the past. The first person I
know that addressed such an issue was Jim Coleman, Sr., then latter
some mention was made on this list.

To date I don't know that anyone as affirmatively nailed the reasons
for this. However, the most prominent realities are the string
segment lengths from the pressure bar to the tuning pins as you have
mentioned, and where the music wire crosses over the bridge.

It is interesting indeed!

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731