beckets

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Wed, 20 Aug 2003 01:42:19 -0600

<<I'd love to have someone show me how to tighten beckets. So far my efforts
have produced no change in pitch--which I assume should be there. Comments?>>

    Not much to show.  Where the wire enters the tuning pin, that right-angle bend should be against the pin, or as close to the pin as possible.  If it sticks out, squeeze it in with a pair of parallel pliers (needlenose will work also, but tend to slip).  Often the pitch will drop 20 cents, 50 cents, even more sometimes.
    It's not really "tightening" the becket, it's just getting rid of some slack wire that has the potential of letting the string go flat.
    If it's already squeezed in as far as it will go, then of course the pitch won't change.
--David Nereson, RPT