"grinnell bros." T. Driscoll

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Wed, 20 Aug 2003 15:38:11 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of pianolover 88
Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 2:37 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: RE: "grinnell bros." T. Driscoll

Terry Peterson

Ok mr Driscoll, slap the cuffs on me! Actually, this wasn't an "
Auxiliary
damper", (most often referred to as a "dummy damper")  because there WAS
damper lever on it with a standard spring, a straight wire , but no
head or
block.  I don't believe it was there for the purpose you stated in your
quote below.  It WAS however, "extra" in the sense that it was NOT in
use.
You shouldn't make assumptions until you know the facts! :)  But, I you
saw
another chance to "correct" me, and  couldn't resist. That's ok, I'm
here to
learn! :)

Terry Peterson

Terry,
	Good! I'm here to learn also, and for the record I CAN resist
the need to correct. (Thumper the exception) I was just making a point
about the misuse of terminology. And also for the record I made an
assumption about this damper based on probability and didn't realize
that you would think a damper with the head removed was "extra".
     My point is that we can all raise the bar by using the correct
names and terms, and not to pick on you.
     The recent thread on soundboard construction (vitriol aside) was a
case in point. I may never install or design a soundboard system, but my
rudimentary understanding of the principals debated will make me a
better technician .Ron, Del and others challenge us all to higher levels
and the least I can do is call the parts by the correct names.
	Tom Driscoll