Dope needs dope dope

Wed, 20 Aug 2003 14:33:29 -0700

I think it's important to know the type of hammer .  Some hammers just
shouldn't be hardened with chemicals, or it should be done very
judiciously.  How do you think you might have messed them up with the set
up?  Either way, I don't like keytop as a hardener, especially for firm up
the underlying structure.  I prefer lacquer, the strength will depend on
the hammer.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

----- Original Message -----
From: Alan
To: Pianotech
Sent: 8/20/2003 1:33:37 PM
Subject: RE: Dope needs dope dope

I don't know what "cold-pressed" implies about hammers or whether these
were made that way.

I choose to not publicly identify the maker at this point because it may
very well be my fault in improperly setting up these hammers. I will say
that it is a well-known private maker of hammers who has, as far as I can
tell, a very good reputation in the business. But also that I did order the
specific hammers this maker recommended for the Big Beautiful(?) Baldwin
6000.

Re: Mark Wisner's questions: My mixture is one plastic "A" keytop (with
front) dissolved in roughly 8 oz. of acetone. I can see the piano as often
as I need to.

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO