Dope needs dope dope

Richard Strang rstrang@pa.inter.net
Wed, 20 Aug 2003 18:44:04 -0500

MessageI'm right with ya. I have a customer that owns a Yamaha C7 with
hammers that sound like cotton mallets. I sure wish I could help out, but I
just don't know how and don't know where to get the training without
draining my bank account.

Richard
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Alan
  Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 1:23 PM
  To: Pianotech; Pianotech
  Subject: Dope needs dope dope

  I've made a batch of plastic keytop in acetone and am about to put it on
the new bass hammers that I installed in a Baldwin 6000.  Even after filing
and many hours of playing, these hammers sound like mooshy marshmallows
floofing up against the strings. Questions: How much dope per hammer? Where
should I put it on the hammers and where should I NOT put it? Any other dope
dope appreciated.

  Side note:

  I did the Randy Potter course and have picked up much at PTG chapter
meetings and from you wonderful people on the list, but mostly it's been
on-the-job, on-my-own, and learn-from-your-mistakes for me over the last
three years. But it sure seems that there is a not very short list of things
that reeeeeally should be learned with tutelage--and this includes voicing.

  I think it just isn't sufficient to read about techniques; you have to
hear examples and learn to listen to subtleties that just aren't present in
98.632% of the neglected pianos in rural America. Most customers can't
really hear or appreciate the difference and won't be paying for it. So
there is precious little practice opportunity.

  THIS piano, however, demands attention and resides in the practice hall of
some very professional musicians of the 399th Army Band. So I must venture!

  Next conference, I'm going to spend the bucks and get into every voicing
workshop I can!

  Alan R. Barnard
  Salem, MO

  ---