beckets

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Thu, 21 Aug 2003 01:02:00 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Airy" <stephenairy@fastmail.fm>
To: "Piano Tech list - PTG" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 2:09 AM
Subject: Re: beckets

> What do I do in my piano when the end of the wire pushes against the
> coils on the other side?  Do I use a coil lifter/dropper, or leave it, or
> what?

    Tap the coil down so that the hole on the other side is exposed (loosen the tension if necessary), then squeeze the becket (the wire bend) into the pin as far as it'll go.  Use a brass or other soft metal tool to tap the coil down, so as not to nick the string.  The coil lifter might work for this also, since it doesn't have a sharp edge like a screwdriver.  If the tail of the wire pokes through the tuning pin, preventing the coils from being moved up or down, you might have to loosen the string, pull the tail back inside the pin, tap the coils down, then squeeze the becket and pull the coils back up against it.  Then tune the string again.
    --
David Nereson, RPT