beckets

DBee840388@aol.com DBee840388@aol.com
Thu, 21 Aug 2003 15:22:15 -0400

In a message dated 8/20/2003 7:38:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time, mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> Speaking of beckets........
>
> Tuned a Samick console today and when checking the tuning I had just completed, noticed G#6 unison was bad - right string flat. Figured I simply missed turning that one. So I cranked on the pin and it wouldn't sharpen. Oops - do I have my lever on the wrong pin? Nope. Crank a little more and BANG. Oh shoot, did I break the string? Nope. The string popped out of the becket! I guess it creeping out is what caused the string
> to go flat. That was a first for me.
>
> Terry Farrell

Terry - Had the same experience recently with a Kimball console about 25 years old. Many of the becket strings extended out of the holes and will go thru and tighten everything as much as I can next time around.  Looks like someone at the factory didn't take the time to do it right when the piano was originally strung.

Don Bee, RPT
Chicago Chapter