beckets

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Thu, 21 Aug 2003 21:57:52 -0500

><< The coil will not, under any condition short of zero or near zero tension,
>ever loosen. It can only tighten, lowering string pitch. It's a one way deal.
> >>

>Well gee Ron I ''almost'' agree totally with you here...............
>That being said........ if the coil only ever tightens then why not go ahead
>and get the coils as tight as possible as early as possible and make for a
>better terminated string(s)?

Because if there is no tuning stability problem associated, it is a fix
without a malfunction to justify it.

And it does not make a better terminated string.

>  On a piano which has had its coils tapped..... tapping beyond a certain
>point, say a third time, has no appreciable effect........If a piano drops
>serious
>cents when it is tapped/coils tightened than in my opinion the strings were
>not seated properly around the pin. Does this cause any "Unstability in
>tuning"??...perhaps not... but it sho don't add to the stability either.

Then it's neither here nor there. A functional non-issue, which was my point.

>  Tapping, or not, does not in and of itself indicate any degree of
>proficiency, skill or lack thereof nor does either guarantee any tuning
>stability.
>  Tapping is a procedure that I am thoroughly comfortable with and is part of
>my prep work on 'all' new grands and new customer instruments. The work is
>included in my 'first call fee' and is something I have never charged
>extra for
>anyway.

But it is paid for by the customer as part of your first call fee, which
answers my question of who picks up the tab on the procedure.

>If a pitch raise is called for then the tapping won't hurt anything and
>if a pitch lowering (kinda typical in pianos from elsewhere in the country
>new to FL) then the tapping is a tremendous help in that pitch
>lowering.........

And if it was near or on pitch, tapping makes the pitch raise, which I
presume isn't included in the first call fee, necessary.

>Different rice bowls.............I don't think that any one has the best or
>only answer to the question at hand....just season your rice to taste I
>suppose. :-)
>Jim Bryant (FL)
>
>"An orchid in a pansy patch is a weed.
>Ron N."

And a fix without a malfunction is what? All I want here is to make the
point that tapping coils doesn't enhance tuning stability.

Ron N